Learn about student advisement for Oklahoma State University animal science and food science degree programs, make an appointment with your advisor.
The Department of Animal Science, as well as other departments in the College of Ag, are unique in that the professors serve as the academic advisors. Academic advisors provide expert advice to students on courses and degree plans, as well as educational and career paths. Students are assigned to an advisor the year they begin at OSU and are required to meet with him/her each semester before enrolling in classes. Only a student's assigned advisor can clear him/her for enrollment.
Advising Appointments & Enrollment
- Check your enrollment date by logging in to the Student Self-Service page and clicking "Drop and Add Classes." Make sure the upcoming semester is selected. "Your enrollment date is: ______."
- Check for HOLDS that will prevent you from enrollment by logging in to Student Self-Services. Your advising hold will be lifted after you meet with your advisor.
- Familiarize yourself with the requirements for your major, including prerequisite courses. To view detailed undergraduate requirements by degree, major, and option, begin by selecting the academic year in which you declared (or plan to declare) your major.
- Select classes that you would like to take next semester (consult your degree sheet).
- Complete an Enrollment Advising Form.
- Know who your assigned advisor is before scheduling an appointment. Only your assigned advisor can clear you for enrollment.
- Unsure of who your assigned advisor is? Log onto "Student Self-Services," look under "Student Records," and then click on "Advisor." Your assigned advisor will be listed.
Schedule an Appointment
Learn how your advisor prefers to schedule his/her advising appointments. Some advisor's schedule through their Administrative Assistants, some use the STAR system, and some prefer to make their own appointments.
- Office hours for all advisors and office staff are between 8a.m. and 5p.m. Please contact offices and schedule appointments only during office hours (unless otherwise directed by your advisor).
- Create your appointment 3 - 4 weeks before your enrollment date. Don't wait until the week of your enrollment to schedule your appointment or you might not be able to get in!
- Schedule your appointment date during the two weeks before your enrollment date.
- You are responsible for scheduling your advisor meeting before your enrollment date, as well as enrolling into your classes.
- Click here to view how each advisor prefers you create advising appointments, as well as contact information and instructions for the STAR system.
- If you are not able to make your appointment, please let your advisor know as soon as possible so that another student can use that time slot. Reschedule your appointment.
At Your Appointment
Make the most out of your appointment by adhering to the following steps:
- Arrive On-Time
- Remove Distractions
- Turn your phone off or on silent.
- Be Prepared
- Have your degree sheet.
- Have a list of courses you would like to take.
- Print your completed Enrollment Advising Form and bring it to your appointment for review and advisor approval.
- Have a list of questions prepared.
Enrolling in Classes
Online Enrollment begins at 12:01a.m. on your enrollment date.
- To Enroll: Go to Student Self-Services, then select "Drop and Add Classes" under "Registration."
- Start enrolling as soon as possible on your enrollment date to ensure you get into your classes.
- Have the Call Numbers for each class written down. This allows you to type them in all at once on the "Drop and Add Classes" page.
- It is helpful to enroll first in classes that constrain your schedule, are a priority, or have only a few seats left. Base the rest of your schedule around these courses.
We invite you to learn more about our department and the many opportunities available to you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!