Oklahoma State University was founded on December 25, 1890, as Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College (Oklahoma A&M). On July 1, 1957, Oklahoma A&M College officially became Oklahoma State University.
For the first 16 years following the founding of Oklahoma A&M College the College of Agriculture consisted of two departments, Agriculture and Horticulture. In 1906, the Department of Agriculture was divided into the Department of Agronomy and the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, with Animal Husbandry and Dairying being further split into separate departments in 1908. Courses dealing with poultry were not offered until 1911 and were then taught in the Animal Husbandry Department until 1915 when the Poultry Husbandry Department was formed. In l967 the Animal, Dairy and Poultry Science Departments were merged into the Institute of Animal Sciences and Industry, with the name changed in a few years to the Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. in 1977, the name was officially shortened to the Department of Animal Science.
Following the merger of the three departments in 1967, the faculty was housed in six different buildings - Animal Husbandry, Dairy, Poultry, Meat Laboratory, Ag Hall and Veterinary Medicine. It was not until the present Animal Science Building was completed in 1982 that the entire faculty was housed in one building.